Want healthier, radiant and younger looking skin? Then microdermabrasion is the ideal treatment for you! Your skin is an everchanging growing organ that requires a procedure that truly works with it. Microdermabrasion gently sands away dead skin cells accumulated over the years which have been the cause of a dull and aging complexion. Microdermabrasion is safe, effective, has low down time and stimulates new collagen production which helps your skin rejuvenate faster than normal all while cleaning out dirt and grime that has nestled in your pores.
The concept of abrading the skin, or removing the upper layers, for skin rejuvenation dates back as far as 1500 BC, when Egyptian physicians used a form of sandpaper to smooth scars.
Today the microdermabrasion treatment is a popular, safe and effective treatment since its introduction to North America in the mid-late 1990′s.
Q: What is microdermabrasion?
A: Microdermabrasion, popularly known as “skin polishing”, is a simple and safe, office cosmetic procedure that has gained popularity in the last 15 years. It is not a chemical, not a laser, and not a surgical procedure.
Q: How exactly does microdermabrasion function?
A: This pain free procedure involves “sanding” the top layer of the skin (stratum corneum) with a fine mist of crystals and a vacuum to remove dead skin cells, dirt and grime nestled in the pores all while smoothing the skin to reveal healthier looking skin. This treatment stimulates new collagen production which helps your skin rejuvenate faster than normal, resulting in a reduction of fine lines, skin texture refinement, age and sun spots.
Q: Is microdermabrasion suitable for me?
A: This procedure is recommended for anyone, men and women, whether you have problem skin or not, as we all prefer more cleaner looking radiant skin. If your goal is to get rid of superficial acne scars, aging skin, blackheads, pox marks from acne, chicken pox scars, blotchy skin, large pores, age spots, sun spots, fine wrinkles and uneven skin tone and texture, you are a perfect candidate for microdermabrasion.
Q: Where can microdermabrasion be done on the body?
A:This treatment can be done anywhere on the body where you want smoother, younger looking skin, such as hands, arms, neck, back.
Q: What is the skin sandblasted with?
A: The skin is “sanded” with high quality fine aluminum oxide crystals. Aluminum oxide is a colorless sapphire and a naturally formed crystal; about as natural and safe as possible.
Q: How many treatments will I need and how frequently should they be scheduled?
A: Every person is different and reacts to cosmetic procedures in an individual way, but generally 4 microdermabrasion treatments done 7-10 days apart are required for most people to achieve optimal results. These appointments can be scheduled 7 days apart.
Q: When do microdermabrasion results become visible?
A: Results are often times, immediate, as you will notice the day of the treatment that your skin is looking cleaner and more polished. We’re not talking life-altering results here, but a nice, clean, smooth feeling is apparent directly after the session. Multiple treatments will provide more drastic results.
Q: Does microdermabrasion benefit make up application?
A: Microdermabrasion makes makeup application look fabulous! Microdermabrasion smooths the skin by gently “sanding” the surface of the skin, as we would sand a piece of wood prior to painting it. Since the skin underneath the makeup is smooth and glowing you will notice your foundation does not look dull or ashy because microdermabrasion will have sanded the dead skin off. Your make up application will look clean, fresh and radiant!
Q: Can microdermabrasion help reduce large pores?
A: Yes. Microdermabrasion stimulates collagen production which is why it works on large pores. The vacuum function sucks out hardened oil, dust and other dirt, which may clog your pores. This way, the oil in the glands can again reach the surface of your skin and your pores can return to their natural shape and size. It cleans the pores and hinders any future breakouts if used on a regular basis.
Q: Are there any risks or side effects?
A: There are virtually no side effects and it is virtually risk-free. Microdermabrasion is non-invasive and mild, so you have nothing to worry about. To prevent the risk of infection Luminous Skin Care uses proper sterilization and sanitization practices on the microdermabrasion equipment and within the office the procedure is being performed. Luminous Skin Care is committed to client safety and we use disposable tips for each treatment.
Q: What should I expect the days following the microdermabrasion treatment?
A: During the first 24 hours, your skin may feel dry, or slightly pink similarly to effects of a mild wind or sunburn which goes away after a few hours. Be sure to:
- apply moisturizer during the first few days
- avoid sun exposure for at least a week after the treatment
- do not use any peeling products for the next 3-4 days following treatment (Any products containing Retinol, Glycolic, Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Salicylic or Beta Hydroxy Acids).
- avoid full-face make up (liquid foundation or pressed powder) for 1-2 days after treatment.
Q: What should I expect to feel immediately after the treatment?
A: After the treatment the skin may experience an itching and burning sensation. At Luminous Skin Care, we apply a high quality soothing balm to calm the itching sensation.
The soothing balm’s key ingredients are Hydrolyzed Milk Protein (an emollient and moisturizer), Olive Fruit Oil (a gentle emollient and a powerful antioxidant) and Wheat Germ Oil (an antioxidant source of vitamin E that helps with aging skin and the formation of healthy cells, tissue and muscle). Soy Isoflavones and Chasteberry in the soothing balm rebuild collagen for skin that feels softer, younger and more lucious!
Q: Is it safe for all skin types?
A: Microdermabrasion is safe on all skin colors and types. If you are sensitive to chemical peels, microdermabrasion is a particularly good alternative. If you have sensitive skin, the machine can be lowered in suction and crystal flow to accommodate your sensitivity.
Q: How much time should I set for my treatment?
A: Your treatment will take 30 minutes to complete.
Q: Will I experience any discomfort during treatment?
A: The microdermabrasion treatment is painless. You will feel the suction from the vacuum and the fine crystals passing through your skin, but there is no need for topical anaesthetics or painkillers.
Q: Should I use any aftercare products following the procedure?
A: You will be given a set of aftercare instructions after your first procedure and a series of products will be recommended to you to aid skin renewal process. You will be required to wear a titanium dioxide/zinc oxide sunscreen with a minimum SPF 15 each and every day depending on the time of year.
Q: Are there any pre-treatment instructions I should follow?
A: The following instructions should be followed prior to receiving a microdermabrasion treatment:
- Discontinue the use of Accutane/Isotretinoin for one (1) year prior to treatment.
- Discontinue the use of over the counter Retinol, Glycolic and other Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Salicylic or Beta Hydroxy Acids, or other exfoliation products three (3) days prior to treatment.
- Discontinue use of prescription Retinoid products (Retin-A, Renova, Tretinoin, Avita, Alustra or other brands of Tretinoin), other prescription Retinoid products (Adapalene, Avage, Differin, Tazorac, Tazarotene) thirty (30) days prior to treatment.
- If you are prone to cold sores, you will need to contact your physician for antiviral medication such as Famivir, Valtrex or Zovirax to avoid a post treatment breakout. It is recommended you begin prophylaxis two (2) days prior to treatment and continue for five (5) days post treatment.
- Discontinue the use of the following products and activities for ten (10) days prior to treatment:
- Botox, Collagen, Juvederm, Gortex Restylane, Perlane, Alloderm or other injectibles
- Waxing, electrolysis and other hair removal products or methods
- Follow all pre-microdermabrasion home care product recommendations as instructed by your technician. Optimal results are achieved by following a home care regimen that will enhance the microdermabrasion process.
Q: Are there skin problems where microdermabrasion should not be used?
A: Microdermabrasion is not recommended for people with the following conditions:
- active bacterial, viral or fungal skin infections (such as cold sores, shingles, impetigo, cellulitis, folliculitis)
- if you suffer from any open skin lesions, rashes or burns
- if you have extensive telangiectasia (broken capillaries) or rosacea you should not consider microdermabrasion. The microdermabrasion exfoliation process worsens rosacea symptoms (redness, itchiness, flaking). You should consider an IPL skin rejuvenation treatment instead.
- history of problems with healing and excessive scarring (keloids)
- you should not undergo a microdermabrasion procedure if you have had a recent facelift. You also need to wait at least ten (10) days post Botox or filler injections such as Restylane, Juvéderm or Radisse into your skin.
- you should not undergo a microdermabrasion procedure if you have any immune system deficiencies or suffer from HIV and AIDS, Hepatitis C, Lupus or skin cancer.
Q: What quality of equipment is used by your facility?
A: Luminous Skin Care uses quality medical grade microdermabrasion unit. We believe that each customer should feel as if though they received their money’s worth and receive a quality treatment. The manufacturer of the equipment used by Luminous Skin Care has been and continues to be in the industry since microdermabrasion was first introduced to North America in the mid 90′s.
Q:Is the technician qualified?
A: Our technician has 10 years of experience with microdermabrasion and is qualified and trained to answer any questions you may have.